These cupcakes are much easier to make than the design would suggest. Using an edible icing sheet with a lace print design enables you to incorporate fancy prints into your desserts with little effort and time.
Tools & Ingredients
- Buttercream Icing
- Piping Bag (plastic disposable)
- Icing Sheet with Lace Print Design
- Small flower gum paste cutter
- Sugar Pearls
- Rolling Pin
- Heart cookie cutter
- Piping Gel
- Plastic mat or cutting board
- Ball tool
- Roll out fondant to 1/16” thickness on a greased mat/cutting board.
- Apply a thin coat of piping gel over the area where you are applying the print.
- Peel the plastic backing off the icing sheet and apply to the area where you applied the gel. Rub back and forth on top of the icing sheet to make it adhere.
- Place the heart cookie cutter over the area of the print you want included in your cut-out. Be sure to press firmly all around the sides of the cookie cutter to cut all the way through the icing sheet and fondant. Wiggle the cookie cutter slightly back and forth to release the cut area from the rest of the fondant.
- Set the cut heart aside to dry.
- Roll out a small amount of pink fondant to 1/16” thick. Use the gum paste flower cutter to cut out 3 flowers for each heart. Using the ball tool, press into the center of the flower to create a spot for the sugar pearl.
- Apply a tiny bit of piping gel to the center of each flower and stick a sugar pearl in the middle. Use a little more gel to adhere the flowers along the side of the heart cut-out.
- Cut a hole on the pointy end of the disposable cake decorating bag. Fill bag 2/3 full with pink icing. Pipe buttercream icing on the cupcake, beginning with the outside and moving in a circular motion around the cupcake. (It will resemble the look of a soft-serve ice cream cone).
- Stick the heart cut-out into the fresh icing. (If you let the icing harden up, the heart won’t stick).
It’s best to make all the heart cut-outs in advance and then you will be able to quickly put the cupcakes together as you ice them. The sugar pearls are sold in Michael’s Craft Stores, online cake decorating stores and sometimes you’ll find them in gourmet stores. If you can’t find them, you can substitute pearl tapioca or simply pipe a white dot in the center of the flower.
You can use any kind of cake decorating bag, but I use the disposable ones so that I can just cut a hole and throw the bag out when I’m done. If you have plastic or linen cake decorating bags, then just use a large round tip to pipe the icing.
Icing sheets taste good and are so easy to incorporate into cupcake designs and other desserts. If you had to pipe the lace pattern, you’d be spending hours doing what takes mere minutes to do with these valentine cupcakes.
- License: Image author owned